- Rev. Sandy Boyce elected President, World Diakonia
The appointment, which took place in Berlin in July as part of the World DIAKONIA Assembly, is for a four year term, 2013-2017.
Sandy will continue her work as Deacon in placement at Pilgrim Uniting church, supporting and engaging in diaconal ministry in that congregation, and in the wider church.
Sandy has been a member of the World DIAKONIA Executive that meets once a year, and will now take on the role of leading and coordinating these meetings.
The particular tasks shared by the members of the Executive of the DIAKONIA World Executive include:
- reflecting on the nature and task of diaconia in the biblical context
- linking and gathering those who are engaged in diaconal work worldwide (networking)
- encouraging, supporting and empowering the development of groups doing diaconal work
- developing ongoing ecumenical relationships and consultation
As well, the DIAKONIA World Federation:
- furthers the understanding of the diaconate
- provides a network of mutual relationships crossing church traditions and cultural boundaries
- strengthens a sense of community and understanding among all member organisations
- encourages member organisations to explore their diaconal calling
- provides a forum for discussion of diaconal issues including social justice and reconciliation
- organises a world assembly every four years (with a planning team from a host country or association).
A primary focus is networking and relationships. The Executive hears reports from representatives of the three 'world' regions - Africa and Europe (DRAE), The Americas and the Caribbean (DOTAC) and Asia and the Pacific (DAP), and offers financial aid when required for specific projects in developing countries. Each of the regions consists of associations, organizations and communities of deaconesses, deacons, diaconal brothers and sisters, diaconal ministers and other church workers, with each group having responsibility for its own life and witness.
Sandy has previously held other diakonia roles locally, regionally and globally: National Convener, DIAKONIA in the UCA; English co-editor for the annual DIAKONIA News; and member of the Executive of DIAKONIA Asia-Pacific (DAP region).
Sandy reflects: 'I remain convinced that a diaconal approach - connecting church and community - is core to who we are as 'church', informing our mission, and our priorities, projects and commitments'.
DIAKONIA World Federation website: http://www.diakonia-world.org/en/
copy from Urban Mission Network Bulletin, August 2013.