The Continuo (Chamber) Organ
The Continuo Organ made by Kenneth Tickell & Company Ltd, Northampton, UK, is a single manual 5-stop mobile organ. It is available for use by the Pilgrim Church choir when using the chapel, and for other smaller congregations, recitals, and for outside bodies using Pilgrim Church.
Gift of the OrganThis organ was given to Pilgrim Uniting Church in 2010 by:
Bronwen Lewis Jones, member from 1949
Doris Ruth Jones (nee Keynes), member from 1959 to 2009
of their Stow Memorial Church forebears.
1-12 from Chimney flute
13-18 as front pipes
|Chimney Flute||4||20% tin|
1-6 in common with
|Sesquialtera||II||50% tin |
12.17 from middle C
The organ has oak casework and a stool also made of oak. The front pipes are of polished 80% tin. The keyboard naturals are fashioned from bone, and the sharps are made from ebony.
Mechanical key and stop actions:
A shifting movement mechanism and pedal is used to silence stops other than the 8ft. There is a transposing key action, enabling the organ to be playable at A = 415, 440 and 466 pitches. The organ is powered by an integral electric blower connected through a detachable cable. To assist mobility the organ is fitted with lifting handles and rubber double-wheeled castors.
Overall dimensions of the organ:
Width 1000mm, depth 635mm, height 1075mm.
The carving on the back of the organ depicts the North Terrace Congregational Chapel erected in 1837-8, which was South Australia's first church building, and a there is a copy of the squirrel carved on a pillar of the present church which was opened in 1867 as Stow Memorial (Congregational) Church. See detail below . . .
Dedication of the OrganThe organ was dedicated at the 11am Choral Worship Service on Sunday 18 April 2010. David Drury was the guest organist.
The organ will also feature in future concerts. Please check the Concerts and recitals page for information.
Read more . . .
Mr R Thomas, architect for the present building, brought a pet squirrel with him from England. At his suggestion this was introduced in the form of a mediaeval gargoyle squirrel, into the design of the central pillar of the porch by the stonecarver, Mr Samuel Peters. (c 1866) A copy of the stone squirrel features in a wood carving on the back of the organ.