The Pipe Organ
The original organ in the present building was built by Speechly and Ingram and installed in a loft at the front of the church under the chancel arch. It was moved in 1908 to the east transept and the loft was screened off with the present rose window. In 1973 the instrument was sold to St John's Lutheran Church in Unley and the space was developed as a chapel.
The present organ was built by Eagle Ltd of London, and when installed in the Pirie Street Methodist Church in 1855 was the largest in the colony. Originally of 21 stops over two manuals and pedals, the organ was rebuilt by Fincham & Hobday in 1884 and J E Dodd in 1902. In 1930 considerable enlargement was provided by Roberts Ltd including the addition of a third manual. L S Waters and Son were responsible for some additions and renovations in 1966.
With the formation of the Uniting Church in Australia, the Pirie Street Methodist Church was closed and the organ was rebuilt into the south gallery of Pilgrim Church in 1973.
Since that time there has been considerable enlargement and revoicing of the instrument to suit the different acoustic, and the provision of a new four manual cedar console complete with registration capture system and sequencing. This work has been carried out by George Stephens Pty Ltd and makes the instrument the largest organ in the state.
With 88 speaking stops and 35 couplers this instrument has the resources required for a wide range of organ recital literature as well as being capable of providing superb accompaniment to the church liturgy for which Pilgrim is renowned.
Click here for
Click here for information on Organ and Choral Music at Pilgrim
Click here for FREE recitals
Click here to listen to Postludes & Lunchtime Organ Recitals.
Pilgrim's Organists Read more . . .
Some of Our Visiting Organists Read more . . .
Pilgrim is also home to a Continuo (Chamber) Organ) built by
K Tickell & Co. UK and dedicated in 2010.
Read more . . .